Papers, Publications, Presentations
- Jacobi, et al, Transitioning Linked Data Accountable Systems to the Real World with Identity, Credential, and Access Management (ICAM) Architectures, IEEE Homeland Security Technology Conference (Nov 2013).
- Waterman & Wang, Prototyping Fusion Center Information Sharing: Implementing Policy Reasoning Over Cross-Jurisdictional Data Transactions Occurring in a Decentralized Environment, IEEE Homeland Security Technology Conference (Jan 2011)
- Waterman, Pre-processing Legal Text: Policy Parsing and Isomorphic Intermediate Representation, Intelligent Information Privacy Management Symposium at the AAAI Spring Symposium (Mar 2010)
- Waterman, McGuiness, & Ding, Selective Privacy in a Web-based World: Challenges of Representing and Inferring Context
Intelligent Information Privacy Management Symposium at the AAAI Spring Symposium (Mar 2010)
- Waterman, Isomorphic Intermediate Representations. Are Needed To Support. Cross-Border eDiscovery and Digital Evidence Systems, DESI Workshop, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Law (Barcelona, 2009)
- Ding, Waterman, Bao, Kagal and McGuinness,Towards a Semantic Web Testbed for Collaborative Policy Development, (Accepted for Poster/Short Paper), WebSci09 (Athens, 2009)
- Defining User Attributes for Authority Based Access Control, Waterman & Hammar (May 2007)
- Knowledge Discovery in Corporate Email: The Compliance Bot Meets Enron. (May 2006)
- Weitzner, Abelson, Berners-Lee, Hanson, Hendler, Kagal, McGuinness, Sussman, Waterman, Transparent Accountable Data Mining: New Strategies for Privacy Protection, MIT CSAIL Technical Report MIT-CSAIL-TR-2006-007 [DSpace handle] (27 January 2006)
- Waterman & Bruening, Big Data Analytics: Risks and Responsibilities, International Data Privacy Law (Oxford University Press, May 2014) (Pre-print Draft).
- Waterman & Hendler, Getting the Dirt on Big Data, Big Data. September 2013, 1(3): 137-140.
- American Bar Association, Information Security Handbook, 2nd Ed (2011) (author of section on significant changes in next five years and section on security for mobile computing)
- Bruening & Waterman, Data Tagging for New Information Governance Models, IEEE Security & Privacy Magazine, pp. 64-68 (Sept. 2010).
- Waterman & Henshon, (Liability for Robotic Automobiles), The SciTechLawyer (American Bar Association, accepted for 2009)
- Waterman & Henshon, "What's next for Artificial Intelligence & Robotics?", The SciTechLawyer (American Bar Association, Summer 2008)
- Mastalli & Waterman, *"Trust, Ethics and the Technology Factor" or "If I had wanted to be a CIO, I would not have gone to law school...." , AZ Bar Convention (June 20, 2008)
- Waterman, Blackstone, Burbach, Mudd & Mortinger, Personal Versus Professional: Handling Employee Participation in On-Line Communities, American Bar Association Annual Conference (Chicago, Aug.2, 2009)
- Waterman, Representing Policy for Enterprise Compliance, National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST), Privilege Management Workshop, Plenary Session (Gaithersburg, September 2, 2009)
- Waterman, Playing by the Rules: Privacy Usage Policy Determination & Justification in Web-Based Systems, National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST), Information Security And Privacy Advisory Board (May 30, 2012)
- Waterman, Risks in Big Data Discovery, Centre for Information Policy Leadership, Annual Retreat (Washington, DC, June 2013)
- Waterman, Performance, Policy, & Profit: Reasonable Expectations from Linked Data, keynote, Semantic Technology & Business Conference (New York, Oct. 2, 2013).
- Askin, Searls, Waterman, et al, Opening Panel, Data Privacy Legal Hackathon (Brooklyn, Feb. 2014)
- Waterman, Code and Code: How Technology is Washing Away Traditional Legal Boundaries, TTI/Vanguard (Atlanta, Feb. 2014)
- Waterman, Accountability for Quality & Revenue, CDO Vision (Houston, 2014)
- Waterman & Henshon, Danger Will Robinson! A Discussion of Cutting Edge Issues in AI & Robotics Law, American Bar Association (May 2008)
- Waterman, Granular Access: Information Sharing in a World of Complex Laws and Policies, National Science Foundation (8 November 2005)
- McCusker, WebSig: A Digital Signature Framework for the Web (Ph.D. Thesis Committee, Computer Science, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
- Waterman, Policy Reasoning: Game Changing Promise and Present Challenges, Invited Talk, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, Nov. 2013)
- Linked Data & Governments, Lecture to Linked Data Ventures Class, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA, Sept. 2011)
- Linked Data Workshop, one day workshop for the Library of Congress (Washington, DC, May 2011)
- Linked Data Ventures, Lecture at Sloan School, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (May 2011)
- Berners-Lee, Kagal, Sturtevant, Rae, Waterman, Linked Data Ventures, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Fall 2010)
- Founder, Linked Data Product Development Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Jan. 2010)
- Federal Jurisdiction, University of Arizona
- Pre-trial Litigation, University of Arizona
- Employment Law, University of Arizona
- Advanced Legal Reasoning, University of Arizona
- eDiscovery Topic Authority, Text Retrieval Conference (TREC) Legal Track, NIST & The Sedona Conference (2009)
- The Nation Magazine v. U.S. Dep't of Defense, 762 F. Supp. 1558 (S.D.N.Y. 1991) - filed amicus briefs on behalf of the American Association of Alternative Newsweeklies and leading journalism professors in this important case addressing media pool rules in Desert Storm. (Read about the case in Wikipedia - my representation included Ben Bagdikian, Todd Gittlin, and Herbert Schiller (journalism professors) mentioned in the next to last paragraph).